Updated: January 9, 2022 / Home » Freeware and Software Reviews » Document Imaging Software OCR
Save the environment, digitally scan and archive receipts, letters, documents, and many more into digital copies for tax and accounting purposes. Depending on the document management software (DMS) some have the ability to scan, index, capture, retrieve, manage, control and distribute critical business documents safely and securely. These document management software are ideal for Small Businesses with tons of documents to go through.
🤣😍😂 4 Free OCR Apps – Scan And Convert To Text With Smartphones
These free edition of scanner softwares allows users to benefit for free from the advantages of a universal scanning with post-processing capabilities tool. Who needs scanner software when all scanners come bundled with scanning software? For those who upgraded their laptop or computer and found no newer driver and software from their manufacturer. When you’re done with scanning, you might be interested in organizing the documents into categories, making it searchable and more.
Here are some of the best open source and freeware for those looking to operate a small medium business. For your information, most of these software are web based. It can be run locally with the installation of XAMPP server software, turning your laptop or desktop into a server.
↓ 01 – PaperScan Scanner Software (Free Edition) | Windows | Scanning
PaperScan Scanner Software is a powerful TWAIN & WIA scanning application centered on one idea: making document acquisition an unparalleled easy task for anyone. But it also provides advanced features like OCR, annotations or color detection. The Free Edition of PaperScan Scanner Software allows users to benefit for free from the advantages of a universal scanning with post-processing capabilities tool. Features:
- Limited batch TWAIN & WIA scanning / import (10 pages).
- Save as single page PDF/A, TIFF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, JBIG2, WEBP.
- Post Image Processing: color adjustment, color space conversion, effects, filters, crop and more…
- PDF Encryption support (read & write).
- Flatbed and document feeder support.
- Duplex scanning support.
↓ 02 – Microsoft Office Document Imaging (Office 365) | Windows | Scanning
The From Scanner or Camera option for scanning documents and pictures is not available in Microsoft Office Word 2007. Instead, you can use your scanner to scan the document, and then you can save the file to your computer. After you scan the document, you can use Microsoft Office Document Imaging to create a version of the document that you can edit.
↓ 03 – HP Linux Imaging and Printing | Linux | Scanning
HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging & Printing) is an HP-developed solution for printing, scanning, and faxing with HP inkjet and laser based printers in Linux. The HPLIP project provides print, scan and fax support for 2534 printer models, including Deskjet, Officejet, Photosmart, PSC (Print Scan Copy), Business Inkjet, LaserJet, Edgeline MFP, and LaserJet MFP. (Note: Not all models are currently supported. See Supported Devices for more information.) HPLIP is free, open source software distributed under the MIT, BSD, and GPL license. See the Licensing Information page for more information.
↓ 04 – NAPS2 | Windows | Scanning
Scan documents to PDF and other file types, as simply as possible. Search through text included in your PDFs by using optical character recognition (OCR), in any of over 100 languages.
Compatible with both WIA and TWAIN – Choose the driver that works best with your scanner, as well as settings like DPI, page size, and bit depth. Scan from a glass flatbed or an automatic document feeder (ADF), including duplex support. Scan with a single click – Easily scan with your chosen settings, or set up multiple profiles for different devices and configurations. Once you’ve finished scanning, you can save, email, or print with only a couple clicks. Save to PDF, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, or other file types.
↓ 05 – CloudScan | Web | Scanning
CloudScan is a completely free scan application. It provides a new, simple way to scan your documents, pictures or photos and save them to multipage PDF files. Cloud can be successfully used on one computer. The simple, friendly interface provides results in seconds.
If you have more than one PC (home or office network), you are getting a revolutionary approach to scanning: just install the SharedScanner component to one PC, and you can share the scanner and use it from almost any other computer or device without installation. Just a usual web browser is required. Key features:
- Scan documents, pictures, and photos to PDF, PDF/A and TIFF
- Improve image quality during scanning using image enhancement: auto deskrew, punch removal and binary black border removal
- Work with any TWAIN compatible scanners (more than 1600 are available on the market)
- Scan inside a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome)
- Redact scanned images (to remove private information)
- Export to Google Docs, SharePoint and sending by Fax
- Create hard copy of document using Print option
- Pages manipulations (Drag&Drop pages, rotate them as you need, delete etc)
- Share scanner accross network. Nothing to install on any machine after the initial installation on your PC with a scanner
- Very easy to use. One click to scan, one more to save to multipage PDF, PDF/A or TIFF.
- It is the only free scanning software for web browsers
↓ 06 – OpenDocMan | Local Server/PHP | Scanning
OpenDocMan is a free, web-based, open source document management system (DMS) written in PHP designed to comply with ISO 17025 and OIE standard for document management. It features web based access, fine grained control of access to files, and automated install and upgrades. OpenDocMan is an open source document management system, also known as an open source DMS. Here are some of the key features of the document software:
Document Management Files
- Add any file type to the system
- Not FTP required. Upload directly from your browser.
- Metadata fields for each file
- Assign a department/category to each file
- Check-out feature to prevent over-writing of edits
- Revision history
- Documents are stored physically on the server
- File expiration
- Create custom document properties to match your companies needs
Document Management Workflow
- Automated document review process
- Automated file expiration process
- Reviewer can approve or reject a new document or a changed document
- E-mail notification options prior to and after a review
Document Management Security
- Secure URL feature to obfuscate URL parameters
- Fine grained user access control for each file
- Departmental access control for each file
- Three user types: User, Admin, and Super-Admin
- Control the size limit of files independent of higher server limits
↓ 07 – OpenKM | Local Server/PHP | Scanning
OpenKM allows businesses to control the production, storage, management and distribution of electronic documents, yielding greater effectiveness and the ability to reuse information and to control the flow of the documents. OpenKM integrates all essential documents management, collaboration and advanced search functionality into one easy to use solution. The system also includes administration tools to define the roles of various users, access control, user quota, level of document security, detailed logs of activity and automations setup.
OpenKM builds a highly valuable repository of corporate information assets to facilitate knowledge creation and improve business decision making, boosting workgroups and enterprise productivity through shared practices, greater, better customer relations, faster sales cycles, improved product time-to-market, and better-informed decision making. With OpenKM you can:
- Collect information from any digital source.
- Collaborate with colleagues on documents and projects.
- Empower organizations to capitalize on accumulated knowledge by locating documents, experts, and information sources.
↓ 08 – LogicalDOC CE | Local Server/MySQL | Scanning
LogicalDOC CE (Community Edition, Not the usual version with support) is the best choice among document management solutions. It features an intuitive interface that is so easy to use it requires no training. It utilizes advanced technology and widely-accepted international standards to facilitate a non-invasive integration with your system.
LogicalDOC will solve all of your document management needs. LogicalDOC automatically imports all of your business files, indexing and making them available for research and collaboration.
↓ 09 – Maarch | Web | Scanning
Maarch Courrier 1.5 is a PHP Document Management System dedicated to electronic mail processing. Maarch includes scan connectors, mailroom management, workflow. Maarch provides handy features like content management, version control, workflow, office templates, statistics, etc.
- Customizable metadata related to document types
- Alerts and events notifications (mail & rss)
- MSOffice, OpenOffice, LibreOffice templates with on-line updating
- Mail management workflow : answers, notes, process time, cases
- Full OAIS archiving : life cycle, AIPs, cyclic archive checking, replication, fail-over
- Works with Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer, DB2 database backends – Linux, Windows, i-Series compatible
- Smartphone interface
↓ 10 – KRYSTAL Document Management System | Windows/Linux Server | Scanning
Primeleaf Consulting’s KRYSTAL™ Document Management and Imaging Software Systems enables organizations and individuals to Scan, Index, Capture, Retrieve, Manage, Control and Distribute critical business documents safely and securely. Our document management software systems, replaces paper-based processes with electronic procedures, eliminating the printing, posting and manual filing of paper documents and thus it will drive significant cost savings across your organisation.
Benefit of Digital Document Management
Here are 3 benefits of going digital, forget about saving trees, the idea of going through mountains and mountains of documents filed in a storage 10 years ago is the worst nightmare. Click on the image below for a higher resolution.
- Find what you need fast
- Reduce cost
- Less paper = less storage
Recommended for you:
6 Free Windows Process Monitoring Software – What Is Secretly Accessing The Internet 4 Free OCR Apps – Scan And Convert To Text With Smartphones 14 Free Receipt Templates – Download For Microsoft Word, Excel, And Google Sheets 7 Free Apps To Scan Books, Documents And Receipts With Crisp Sharp Texts